Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My Scottish Connection



I was in Scotland when I traveled for my company back in the 1980s. It was such a beautiful place I knew I had to figure out how to write a story that included some of what I had seen. This story is the culmination of memories of that special place here in this huge romance story.

My Scottish Connection

By

Paul R. Meredith




Sylvia decided she would call her best friend, Susan Espery, and see if she could shed any light on the identity of the man who had kissed her at the party. She checked her watch for the time and quickly realized it was way too early to call Susan. That girl sleeps in after a long night like she had, she thought. She’d kill me if I called before two.
Susan Espery was known as something of a party animal among her group of loyal friends, even though it really wasn’t deserved. She just seemed to be in the middle of all the action for some reason, probably because she was outgoing and blended easily with about any crowd. Sylvia was somewhat more subdued, perhaps even a little bit introverted compared to the rest of the group she currently hung with. Even though Susan was known as something of a “wild child” because of her very active lifestyle, she had the good sense to never allow a situation to get out of control. She didn’t sleep around as many others she knew and palled around with did. She had the tendency to stay with one man and be true to him as long as he reciprocated. She considered herself to be an honorable woman. Her steady date at the moment was an advertising man named Jack Finch. Jack had his own small but very powerful and growing advertising business. He was the only man Susan had been dating for the past five months. Susan seemed to care a lot for Jack, but she was extremely careful to never let any of her friends know her true feelings. That was just her way—personal things were private things with her. But in her mind, Jack Finch was the type of man Susan had always dreamed of marrying someday.
A few minutes after two on New Years Day, Sylvia finally called her best friend. “Hi Sue, are you up and around yet?”
“Been up for hours,” Susan lied. “How about you?”
“Couldn’t sleep well last night. I had dreams that kept me awake and jumping around in the bed all night.”
“You’re supposed to dream while you sleep, not when you’re awake. You’ve got it back asswards, girl,” Susan quipped. “Were you dreaming about that hunk that kissed the living hell out of you last night?”
“Now that you mention it, yes, I did dream about that man—a lot! Who the hell was he? Do you know him, because I sure don’t?”
“Sure, he’s good friends with my guy. You know Jack pretty well by now, and Jack told me to tell you he has got the hots for you—has had ever since he spotted you one day when you stopped in at my work to see me. I guess he spotted you while you were there at the same time he was there. Are you sure you don’t know him?”
“I’m not sure I understand. Did you say Jack has the hots for me?” Sylvia asked, somewhat confused by her lack of sleep and the way Sue made the remark.
“No dummy, at least I hope not. The guy that kissed you, the mystery man, silly. He was there that day. He’s the one that has the hots for you.”
“How could he? I’ve never seen the man before.”
“Yeah, right. That’s a likely story. Didn’t you see him that day when you stopped at the restaurant to ask me about going shopping with you? He was in there with Jack.”
“Honestly Sue, I never laid eyes on the guy in my life, at least not that I know of anyway. If he saw me, I didn’t see him. I’ve never seen that man in my life. I would certainly remember him.”
“My God, then why did you kiss him like that, especially right in front of poor Tom? I have to believe that really had to piss Tom off. I noticed that you never even bothered to kiss him,” Susan said. “How did he handle that?”
“Oh God, you’re right. I realized I never kissed Tom at all; he told me so. He’s got to be really irritated with me right now.”
“No, you didn’t kiss him, and he was clearly upset about it. All he could do was watch while you allowed the other guy to all but have his way with you on the dance floor. Christ, for a minute there I thought you were going to leave poor Tom and go somewhere to get a room and crawl in the sack with the guy.”
“Dammit Sue, I thought it was Tom who turned me around and kissed me at the party, and I closed my eyes to enjoy the moment. I was as shocked as I could be when I finally opened my eyes and saw that it wasn’t him at all,” Sylvia explained. “And to make matters worse, I only saw a fleeting glimpse of the man as he quickly left.”
“Right, I’m sure, so didn’t Tom say anything at all about it to you?”
Sylvia thought for a second. “Sure, he had a few words to say about it to me, but he thought I must have known the man pretty well the way I kissed him so long. And of course he said he never got to kiss me at all. I felt terrible about that, but by then there was no way to make it up to him. And yes, I am sure Tom is pissed at me right now.”
“Well, Sylvia, I really think that Tom must have had the right to say something to you about it, don’t you?”

This is an e-book available on Kindle and other e-readers.



http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00DS736E4

No comments:

Post a Comment