Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Internet Cowboy

I am fortunate that I do not suffer from that dreaded disease of writer's block. Most often I have the ability to just sit down and write. However, I do it a bit differently than most other writers in that I often write two stories simultaneously. I try to write a thriller and a romance novel together, one on one sheet and the second story on another sheet. I will sometimes get an idea for my romance story while writing a thriller story, so I just jump over and log my idea, maybe in great detail and maybe just the single idea. It is amazing how effective this is for me.

Another thing I do is set up my outline of points I want to cover in a story and keep them just ahead on the page I am writing. I also log the main characters of the story so that they are right there all the time. This helps me keep things in perspective as I jump between stories. Should I get a new idea while I am writing, I simply put a new detail in the correct place on my outline.

This may never work for another author, but for me it is gold. I couldn't write without doing these minor things. If you have never tried these ideas, give them a try.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




The Internet Cowboy

By

Paul R. Meredith


Perry Williams, a semi-recluse, receives a gift package in the mail that totally mystifies him. He wonders who would send him a gift. When he finally opens, the box, it explodes in his face, destroying the house and setting in motion a long, frustrating investigation by Detective Oren Baker and his partner, Burt Hendricks.
            Leads are difficult to discover, but eventually a suspect, a neighbor next door to Perry, Sid Thompson, is identified and questioned. As Baker puts more and more pressure on Thompson, he suddenly flees the area and disappears from the police radar.
            In an attempt to find relatives of Perry Williams, a sister of his is located, so Baker and Hendricks follow that path and learn several interesting things that lead them to broaden their investigation all the way to Nashville. Two additional suspicious deaths are uncovered, both in areas where Thompson was known to live at the same time of the deaths. Potential leads are followed to no avail, until eventually the two additional deaths are determined to be murders. It is revealed through the intensive investigation and hard-nosed questioning by Burt Hendricks that Thompson could be connected to them.
            Baker soon learns his daughter has been involved in a traffic accident in Davenport, Iowa. He rushes the miles to get to the hospital to be with her, only to receive a cell call notifying him he is minutes too late. His son-in-law notified him she just died, leaving both of the men devastated. A small son is left without a mother.
            Eventually Baker falls in love with and marries long-time district attorney Lila Burns. He makes several attempts to bring Thompson to arrest and trial, both before and after his marriage, but each time Lila says there isn’t enough solid proof to convict him, so she refuses to prosecute. After his marriage, Baker is promoted to police chief once his boss retires. Soon there is enough evidence to bring Thompson to trial. Lila is convinced she can get a conviction.
            It is a huge, shocking surprise when Baker’s new daughter-in-law is his identified as Thompson’s defense attorney. But as shocking as it is, it pales in comparison to the shock of how the trial is conducted and the way the story comes to a dramatic climax.
            The intense, shocking end of this mystery thriller is not easy to guess. The story starts with a bomb blast and several other explosive situations in the story will take the reader’s breath away as they anxiously read to the final paragraphs of the last page.

The primary setting for this mystery thriller is in the heartland of America, the Midwestern cities of Peoria and Decatur, Illinois, as well as Davenport, Iowa, and Nashville, Tennessee.  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

No comments:

Post a Comment